Visiting the dentist can be an uncomfortable experience for many people. Nonetheless, looking after our teeth is an essential part of overall health. Besides, having toothache can be a very painful experience. Better to take preventative action against dental decay by visiting the dentist regularly.
Generally speaking, fear of the dentist tends to come from a painful or unpleasant experience, often from childhood. However, every person’s fear is unique.
Analysing fear and concerns
Fears and concerns can include:
- Pain from dental procedures
- Pain associated with injections
- Phobia of needles
- Lack of familiarity with the procedures
- Reawakened memories of past trauma
- Unpleasant noises of dental equipment
- Fear of fillings, extractions and surgery
Anxiety about visiting the dentist generally combines some or all of the list above. If you haven’t visited the dentist for a long period, it’s possible that you can no longer identify the specific causes of your anxiety.
Hypnotherapy for phobias
CBT Hypnotherapy is a very effective treatment for fears and phobias. I have written elsewhere about conquering the fear of flying with hypnotherapy.
Dentist preparation plan
The Dentist Preparation Plan has been devised to completely remove negative thoughts and emotions attached to visiting the dentist. The plan includes two 60-minute sessions tailored to your specific needs, incorporating:
- In-depth discussion and analysis of your specific concerns
- Realigning thought patterns to reduce feelings of fear or anxiety
- Turning off negative emotional responses
- Coaching and experiencing relaxation techniques
- Understanding the calming impact of controlled breathing
- Engaging the parasympathetic nervous system for natural relaxation
- Using CBT methods under deep hypnosis to reinforce desired thoughts and feelings
- Full rehearsal of the dental visit under hypnosis
Find a sensitive dentist
Unquestionably, it is worthwhile, as a first step, identifying a local dental practice that caters to nervous patients. A sensitive dentist can make a major difference.
Additionally, In special circumstances I can also accompany you to your dental appointment. However this can be discussed during therapy sessions.
Please contact me if you would like to find out more or if you would like to book the Dentist Preparation Plan.
Phone: 07990 572900